Saturday, August 28, 2010

Google Earth

Google Earth is a clever application that allows users to virtually travel anywhere in the world - ANYWHERE! I am amazed at both the perfectly clear birds-eye and street view of my house! When I checked out one of my friend’s address I seen my car parked out the front. It made me think that people wouldn’t want to be visiting where they shouldn’t lol. The safety issues worry me if children in a classroom are introduced to this and check out their own houses during class time. This could be used against someone in a bullying type situation. The key, I believe, is to have the lesson plan focused on businesses or tourist destinations. I actually have friends in America that I was able to google earth their address and they mine so that we can experience a sense of “connectedness”. Connectedness to 'real world' contexts forms part of Education Queensland's Productive Pedagogies Framework (2002). Learning experiences with high levels of connectedness to the world enable learners to see explicit links between what they are learning and 'real world' contexts (Education Queensland, 2002). Having this tool would be good for students to develop penfriends and google each other’s schools. This can then be extended to finding out the demographics and cultural awareness for both parties thus embracing the diversity of this world we live in. The ideas are endless as you could also use this tool to enhance mathematical concepts such as having the students create a digital 3D model of a city.Unfortunately this blog is temporarily not allowing me to upload images and therefore I am unable to share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment